Friday, January 19, 2007

When I Found Out The Truth About My Husband

My husband is so precious to me. When we were first dating I just knew he was the one for me. He was perfect and I wanted to be perfect for him. It seemed that there was nothing that we could not accomplish together. When we were about 5 years into our relationship the most unbelievable realization occurred to me. My husband was not perfect, he could not save me, basically he was not God. I could not believe it. I thought he was the one, the answer to all my problems and needs. I was shocked.

As I look back I can see that I started having serious "adult temper tantrums" in a desperate attempt to fix what was wrong and to make myself whole, to find "the answer" to "the problem"(even though I was unaware of what "the problem"was). The realization that my husband was not God helped me discover that I too am not God. I am not perfect and I cannot save him either. This was another shocker for me (actually I knew I was far from perfect but I thought if I just kept trying I could save him and myself and whoever else may cross our path- that showed me that in my subconscious somewhere I thought I was God). I was reading my Bible recently and this passage struck me and reminded me of how I felt.



2 Samuel 22:5-7
Death, like ocean waves,
surrounded me,
and I was almost
swallowed
by its flooding
waters.
Ropes from the world
of the dead
had coiled around me,
and death had set a trap
in my
path.
I was in terrible trouble
when I called out to you,
but from
your temple
you heard me
and
answered my prayer.

2 Samuel
22:17-20
You reached down from heaven,
and
you lifted me
from deep in the
ocean.
You rescued me from enemies
who were hateful
and too powerful
for me.
On the day disaster struck,
they came and attacked,
but you
defended me.
When I was fenced in,
you freed and rescued me
because you
love me.
I spent 3 years in therapy which included marriage therapy as well trying to work this all out. Rick and I got through it and we were better and stronger than before. However our marriage really started changing and healing when I gave my life to Jesus. When I discovered that He was real and I felt Him in my heart after desperately searching, since childhood for God but being blocked by a dark wall of blackness. The Lord has also touched Ricks' heart and has Saved us both. This comes with a promise that you and your household will be Saved. So that means our children are Saved as well.

I am so happy and blessed to have gone through this journey with my precious husband Rick. When I walk in Christs' ways I am able to truly Love him, myself , my children and whoever God places in our path (even though I am not sure how to do that on my own) . When I "fill up" on the Holy Spirit I do not get caught in the place of "fight or flight" when my needs and fears are not met. I can stay grounded in Love because my survival is not based on the people around me but I Know the Lord and His ways determine my survival. This frees Rick and I to focus on how we can, as the Loving partners we are in Christ, solve the issues of this life creatively, constructively and most of all helping each other instead of getting trapped in a battle for survival.

So when I start getting caught up in the flesh (my needs, my ways) and I start getting uptight about whatever is undone in our life, I pray that the Holy Spirit will remind me Who is, the Way, the Truth and the Life, so I can let go and let God.

I love you Rick. Thank you for persevering through this life so far with me. I know you wanted "real-without masks" well you got it, eh? It was "real" good (I think?) but it was also "real" bad. I Know our Lord had His hand on us all the time. There is no way we could have survived together without His Grace and Mercy helping us even before we Knew Him, isn't that amazing!

Mark 10:8
AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.

Thank you Lord Jesus for SAVING this family so we can live for You in all we do!

6 comments:

Trayce said...

That is a beautiful testimony, Donna.

God has taken you and your family on an incredible journey. He has developed your character and molded you into the beautiful woman of God you are today.

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal testimony with all of us, and for being so real and vulnerable.

We sure love you a whole lot! And it is our pleasure to get to know you through the world of blogging :)

Tracy

Donna said...

Thank you Tracy you are so kind and are full of encouragement. Have you taken your Spiritual Gifts testing? I am wondering if one of the gifts God has given yu is exhortation (I think it means building people up and encouraging them-but I am not positive) Anyways everytime I am reading your comments to people they are sovery encouraging. What a gift.

Trayce said...

I have taken the Spiritual Gifts testing. My gifting are:
Hospitality, Exhortation, Giving
...in that order. Do you know what yours are? It's neat when we can pick out other peoples' giftings, eh?
Is exhortation one of your giftings? I would try and guess if I had the list in front of me, but now I've drawn a blank and can't remember the others.
Aerie and I share two of the same giftings. Weird, eh? His are: Giving, Wisdom, Hospitality. We have such different personalities, so it's interesting to see that we have two of the same gifts.

Anyway, see you on Sunday!

Donna said...

I forget what they were and I just did the test a few weeks ago oops I can find my notes and go over them. I pray the Lord will reveal what He needs me for and how I am to go about walking it. Oh I think one was creative communication and knowlege (maybe?-must look it up). I just Knew you had the gift of exhortation I do not know why I knew it but I did. God is neat the way He uses us.

Me said...

Donna,
I really love your post. My two daughters are a result of me trying to "save" someone, thinking that I had all the answers at a really young age to some pretty adult problems. I thought that by fullfilling these guys needs in every area, that I would somehow show them that they were loved and could love in return. I wasn't a follower of Christ at the time, and although I knew that sex before marriage was looked down upon, I didn't realize the full implications. I would not change the girls I have for anything, and I know that God was with me too through those relationships but because we didn't want God in our lives, he let us go off and make our mistakes. When I gave my life to Christ, my new relationship with Stuart went through some turmoil because of the things in our lives we needed to change, but with Gods grace we made it through. Because Jesus is in our lives everyday, our marriage and ready made family just gets stronger and stronger.
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Love Sarah

Donna said...

Amen, that Jesus was with you even before you gave your heart to Him. Isn't that so neat! God is so Gracious. I Know He knit your lovely children together in your womb with His purpose and plan for you, Stuart and the kids. I love the way God Knows what He is doing even when I don't have a clue.

I know what you mean about going through hardships because of past lack of knowlege to God's Word. But I also Know that God will even take that and use it for His glory. So let's press on in Faith from Glory to Glory and Strength to Strength as we heard tonight at our woman's night.(were you there? I think I missed saying Hi to you sorry)

Peace and blessings I pray to you and yours in Jesus' holy name:

Donna