Friday, January 26, 2007

Names

This is our up to date family portrait. I am happy that they turned out so nice. We have not had them done since Jacob was 12 months and now he is almost three so it was a really nice CHRISTmas gift.

Well, I really put the picture of us here to show you all of our kids. I find it really neat that we named our children from the Bible even before we ever Knew Christ. Jordan is "the river Jordan" and I " had" to find a middle name that began with C so that his initials would be J C Davidson (get it Jesus Christ-J C) so I searched the name books and came up with Jordan Cole even though I had never even heard of the middle name Cole before. I wanted "J C" Davidson so Jordan Cole it was. And Jordan has fully committed His Life to Christ and I Know Holy Spirit is going to do amazing things through him.

Matthew 3:13-17 (the message)

Jesus then appeared, arriving at the Jordan River from Galilee. He wanted John to baptize him. John objected, "I'm the one who needs to be baptized, not you!"
But Jesus insisted. "Do it. God's work, putting things right all these centuries, is coming together right now in this baptism." So John did it.
The moment Jesus came up out of the baptismal waters, the skies opened up and he saw God's Spirit—it looked like a dove—descending and landing on him. And along with the Spirit, a voice: "This is my Son, chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life."

When we were expecting our second child I searched through the Bible for names. I was not reading it yet (oops-to say the least) but I "had" to find a name from the Bible "for some reason." I came across Elisha (I thought it was a girls name though oops again) but he was a prophet who did many amazing miracles in the name of the Lord and I Know our Elisha Dawn (born at dawn) is also going to do many amazing things for our Lord.
2 Kings 3:12 (NIV)
...the Word of the Lord is with Him (her)
Now, Ezra I got directly from the book of Ezra in our Old Testament. And I am amazed at all that Ezra the scribe, priest and teacher did. Ezra the priest rebuilt the Church in the hearts of the people. When he spoke the people were saved. Now our Ezra is still young but he is already learning his Scripture and he freely speaks to people out in public about our Lord. On the bus, at the grocery store and in the taxi are just a few times he has started a conversation about Jesus to people. I Know Jesus is going to use Ezra's Life for some amazing work also.
Ezra 7:6 (NIV)
...for the hand of the Lord his God was on him.
And "so far" lastly, little Jacob. Our Jacob is named after Jacob "after" he wrestled with God and he even was renamed Israel. Little Jacob is going to do big things for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and help bring many people Home.
Genesis 32:30 (NIV)
"It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."
So I think it is so cool that even though I have spent most of my life with a great hunger for God but for so many years I was surrounded by a black wall separating me from Knowing God but even threw that time we named our children very significant Christian names. It really shows me God is in control and He really does have a plan and purpose for each of my children and well, for all of us.
Yey and Amen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna,
Beautiful pictures and beautiful family.

Donna said...

Thanks Lori, speaking of beautiful families :-)

Trayce said...

Hi Donna, I love your children's names and I love the meaning of their names. You have a beautiful family.

Love,
Tracy

Donna said...

Thanks to you Tracy and as I said for Lori, speaking of beautiful families! :-)