Sunday, April 29, 2007

Spring Cleaning A Different Way


I am enjoying getting our closets decluttered(again) It feels so good to have things orderly and functional. It makes things easier to keep up and much more pleasant to be living in. I have enjoyed a break through as well in the" how to handle others clutter" situation. I am one of those people who feels like there is a big grey cloud hanging over my head when I am in undone stuff. I understand that there are many people who find that extra stuff lying around is not an issue for them in the least. In our family there are some of both types- the "clutter affected people" and the "clutter non affected people". Well it has been interesting as I have been able to gain some positive forward momentum yet again. Years ago I would get all upset and try to fight for things to be a certain way. Then I got to the point that I chose the people in my life over the state the house was in. This is fine if I was not so affected by the clutter. The dangerous part of this way of coping is if I am stuffing down my emotions and feeling helpless to create positive change in an area of life that is upsetting for me. Yes the state of the house is not more important to me than the people in my life but it dose affect me especially over years and years of clutter. Emotion stuffed down and feeling helpless can lead to despair and depression which can be just as damaging to the relationships in our lives as fighting and anger can. Both ways separate us from the kind of relationships Christ Jesus calls us to live in. So this time I am taking all the built up clutter that others are not ready to go through yet and they do not want me to do it for them and I am packing it all up and putting it all in one room in the basement. This way I do not have to see it every time I open a closet. It allows for more functional living space on the main and up stairs and I am not stepping over someone elses' boundaries or need to handle or not handle things in a different manner. It is not the perfect solution but it is an improvement and the respect of all individuals in our home is kept intact without me living in a state of despair that things are not being looked after. So I guess this non perfect solution turns out to be more perfect than what I think would be far more effective way of handling clutter. Too cool. I love it. But if you come over and closets are cluttered again please realize I am learning in baby steps and we are a big family. But we love each other and we are growing in Christ bit by bit.

No comments: